bosses are reportedly moving full steam ahead with their spin-off, despite calls for the show to be axed following sexual assault allegations.
MAFS UK Spin-off Books Honeymoon Hotels Amid Allegations
Married At First Sight UK bosses are reportedly moving full steam ahead with their spin-off, despite calls for the show to be axed following sexual assault alle...
Advertisement
The E4 show has faced claims aired by Panorama that two women had been raped during filming, while a third woman had said she was the victim of a non-consensual sex act.
Sources are now claiming that bosses are 'confident' that their planned spin-off Second Married At First Sight, will go ahead, with hotels for the couples' honeymoons already being booked.
It's thought the spin-off could see changes put in place in the wake of the allegations, including the option of having separate male and female sleeping quarters.
Advertisement
Lawyers for CPL, the production company behind MAFS UK, said after the claims emerged that its welfare system was 'gold standard', and that it acted appropriately in all these cases.
boss Priya Dogra initially declined to apologise after the broadcast of Panorama, but has since said she was 'deeply sorry.'
Married At First Sight UK bosses are reportedly moving full steam ahead with their spin-off, despite calls for the show to be axed following sexual assault allegations
A source told The Sun: 'CPL are doing all they can to make Second Marriage At First Sight go ahead, however they are looking at major format changes following the rape and sexual assault allegations.
Advertisement
'It would mean all the brides and grooms will live in the same accommodation as they do now, but the women and men will sleep separately come bedtime.
'Logistics are still being discussed but it could be via two bedroom apartments or more of a ''Love Island'' villa style set-up with shared bedroom for women, and a shared bedroom for men.'
A spokesperson told the publication: 'Whilst we’re in pre-production, we’ve not yet begun filming on Second Marriage at First Sight.'
Daily Mail has contacted a representative for Channel 4 for further comment.
Among the alleged victims is Shona Manderson, who says she got an abortion after her on-screen husband, Brad Skelly, took things 'too far' during sex and 'a boundary was crossed' when he ejaculated inside her without permission.
He has said he understood she was consenting and denies any sexual misconduct.
Waiving her anonymity, she described how she 'completely lost her light' during filming, which saw experts raise concerns about Brad's alleged 'controlling' manner towards her that saw them ultimately be asked to leave the show.
A fourth 'bride' who appeared on MAFS has also spoken to Daily Mail, saying she quit the controversial show in disgust at the way she and her co-stars were being treated.
The E4 show has faced claims aired by BBC Panorama that two women had been raped during filming, while a third woman had said she was the victim of a non-consensual sex act
On Wednesday, Laura Vaughan, a bride on the 2023 series alongside Shona, said she also went to the welfare team on the Channel 4 show over Brad's 'uncomfortable' and 'challenging' conduct.
Taking to social media, Ms Vaughan shared a video in which she told followers that the documentary has raised questions around the safeguarding processes for reality television.
Two other female contestants reported being raped by their on-screen husbands, with one informing both Channel 4 and the production company only for the episodes to be aired anyway.
The other described being left with bruises from the alleged assault and said her partner also threatened to have acid thrown at her.
All the men are understood to deny the allegations against them.
The women say the show, produced by independent firm CPL, did not do enough to protect them and that welfare protocols were not sufficient.
Shortly before the Panorama episode aired, Channel 4 announced it had commissioned an external review into contributor welfare.
It subsequently removed all ten series of MAFS UK from its online streaming platform, and said it has not decided whether to air Series 11, which has already been filmed and was due for release in the autumn.
The marriages on the show are a 'social experiment' and are not legally binding, but cameras follow the couples as they go on 'honeymoon' and move in together.
Meanwhile, Scotland Yard has urged potential victims of sexual assault on the reality show to come forward.
A spokesperson for the force said: 'We are aware of media reporting relating to allegations of rape and sexual assault following the airing of a television programme on Monday, 18 May.
'At this time, we have not received any criminal reports in relation to this matter. We will be making approaches to the relevant production teams to ensure that anyone they have spoken to is aware of how to report any criminal allegations to police.
'We continue to encourage anyone who believes they have been a victim of sexual assault, no matter how long ago it happened, to get in touch with us.
The Prime Minister's spokesman called for 'appropriate action' to be taken as Channel 4 bosses met with media minister Ian Murray, for crisis talks.
Daily Mail previously revealed how CPL had contacted staffers from across the show’s 10 series urging them to be cautious about posting on social media.
They warned them about identifying the males who have been accused of rape by their on-screen spouses and offered a support email to contact, which is available until late into the night this week.
Separately, the Mail also told how past contestants were tipped off about the damning allegations prior to them coming out, warning how they may find them ‘upsetting’.
Advertisement
More Entertainment Buzz
Advertisement




