Showbiz

Timothy Busfield Pleads Not Guilty to Charges

Bintano News Desk
February 21, 2026
Timothy Busfield Pleads Not Guilty to Charges

Timothy Busfield has pleaded not guilty to four counts of sexual contact with a child in a New Mexico court case, the Daily Mail can confirm.

The 68-year-old former West Wing actor was indicted by a grand jury on February 6 and accused of touching two children on the set of The Cleaning Lady while filming in Albuquerque between November 2022 and spring 2024.

Days later, on February 10, he pleaded not guilty, according to court records.

The following day, February 11, Busfield waived his arraignment and court appearances for all pretrial proceedings. His request was granted by Judge Joseph Montano on February 18. 

The Daily Mail has reached out to Busfield's representatives for comment.

People magazine was the first to report the star's plea.  

Timothy Busfield has pleaded not guilty to four counts of sexual contact with a child in a New Mexico court case; pictured in February 2020

Timothy Busfield has pleaded not guilty to four counts of sexual contact with a child in a New Mexico court case; pictured in February 2020

The 68-year-old former West Wing actor was indicted by a grand jury on February 6 and accused of touching two children on the set of The Cleaning Lady while filming in Albuquerque between November 2022 and spring 2024; pictured January 20

The 68-year-old former West Wing actor was indicted by a grand jury on February 6 and accused of touching two children on the set of The Cleaning Lady while filming in Albuquerque between November 2022 and spring 2024; pictured January 20

A witness list was issued on February 13 and includes multiple people from Busfield's past stretching as far back as 1991.

One of the alleged victims told a forensic child interviewer that Busfield touched his 'private areas' on set when he was seven years old, according to a criminal complaint.

The boy alleged the abuse happened five or six times between sets.

He claimed Busfield assaulted him again when he was eight years old, claiming it happened three or four times.

The boy's twin brother told authorities he was also touched by Busfield, but he did not specify where and didn't say anything because he didn't want to get in trouble, the complaint said.

The charges come one month after Busfield was arrested for the alleged crimes.

He has since denied the allegations, and his attorneys have argued the accusations are part of a revenge plot manufactured by the boys' parents after the children lost their roles in the TV series.

The charges were brought against the star by a grand jury in Bernalillo County and the case will be prosecuted by the Special Victims Unit, district attorney Sam Bregman announced earlier this month.

Busfield's wife Melissa Gilbert has staunchly defended him since the sex abuse allegations came to light in January; the couple pictured in 2020

Busfield's wife Melissa Gilbert has staunchly defended him since the sex abuse allegations came to light in January; the couple pictured in 2020

Busfield, pictured in 2020, waived his arraignment and court appearances for all pretrial proceedings

Busfield, pictured in 2020, waived his arraignment and court appearances for all pretrial proceedings

Recommended Content

Source Verification

This story was originally reported by the Daily Mail and aggregated by Bintano News.

VIEW ON DAILY MAIL