Showbiz

David Genat Shares Awkward Moment with LaPaglia

Bintano News Desk
2/17/2026
David Genat Shares Awkward Moment with LaPaglia

David Genat has revealed that he reached out to Jonathan LaPaglia after the TV veteran was sacked as host of Australian Survivor last year.

Advertisement

Genat, 45, who took over presenting on the show in the wake of LaPaglia's controversial exit, added that the pair were not friends.

Appearing on the Hit Network's Carrie and Tommy Show on Monday, the former model was pressed for details over the Australian Survivor shake-up.

After co-host Carrie Bickmore asked Genat whether things were awkward with LaPaglia, the former castaway replied: 'That's a question for Jonathan. Not for me. I mean, I think Jonathan's amazing.'

During the interview, Genat said that LaPaglia had messaged back – but did not reveal any details, only saying that things between them were 'good'.

Advertisement

He continued: 'I wouldn't say we're friends, but yeah. I mean, it's fine. Of course you're upset.'  

David Genat (pictured) has revealed that he reached out to Jonathan LaPaglia after the TV veteran was sacked as host of Australian Survivor last year

David Genat (pictured) has revealed that he reached out to Jonathan LaPaglia after the TV veteran was sacked as host of Australian Survivor last year

Elsewhere in the chat, Genat then distanced himself from the producers' decision to sack LaPaglia, after the fan favourite had hosted the survival series for close to a decade.

'I was not involved in the breakup, but yeah, I mean, look, I just sent him a message and said he's done such an amazing thing with the show and his legacy can't be touched,' Genat explained.

He added: 'So I'm just trying to build on it and make it my own and just like continue making this the greatest show.

Advertisement

'You lose a job. I've lost so many jobs and been upset, but it was not my fault. So what could he say?

'I just sent him a nice message to just tell him, like how much I respected him.'

It comes after Genat was announced as LaPaglia's replacement last August.

The Australian–born reality star, who lives in Texas with his family, began his Survivor journey on Australian Survivor: Champions v Contenders in 2019.

He was the 14th castaway voted out, and then returned to the franchise the following season for Australian Survivor All Stars in 2020, which he won.

Advertisement

Genat, 45, who took over presenting on the show in the wake of LaPaglia's controversial exit, added that the pair were not friends. (Pictured: Jonathan LaPaglia)

Genat, 45, who took over presenting on the show in the wake of LaPaglia's controversial exit, added that the pair were not friends. (Pictured: Jonathan LaPaglia)

Meanwhile, LaPaglia shocked fans last June when he confirmed he had been axed from the series, after almost a decade at the helm.

The TV personality was met with a rally of support after he revealed he would be fronting the show for the last time in the Australia V The World series, which premiered on Sunday.

He later detailed the brutal way he found out he had lost his job.

'The speculation online was that I received an email. But no, it was a call to my manager in Australia. I didn't get a direct call... disappointing,' he told The Daily Telegraph.

Advertisement

Australian Survivor: Redemption premieres February 23 on Channel 10 

aggregated from the Daily Mail.

READ ORIGINAL STORY