Strictly co-stars show support for Amanda Abbington’s Instagram posts as Giovanni Pernice vows to ‘clear his name’ amid BBC misconduct probe

Strictly co-stars show support for Amanda Abbington’s Instagram posts as Giovanni Pernice vows to ‘clear his name’ amid BBC misconduct probe

Strictly’s Giovanni Pernice has vowed to ‘clear his name’ as the BBC investigates ‘serious workplace misconduct claims’ by three of his celebrity partners. 

The dancer, 33, released a statement on Instagram on Saturday night after he reportedly quit the show – which was notably met with silence from his co-stars on the dancing show.

He is said to have not signed up to the new series after the scrutiny became ‘too much’ when three of his ex dance partners slammed his ‘militant’ approach. 

Amanda Abbington, 52, who withdrew from the series last year, has led the charge in accusing him of ‘difficult behaviour’ during training. She now has reportedly accused him of ‘stamping on her foot’ during his sessions.

But in a new statement he detailed that he was ‘totally surprised’ by the allegations, which he denies and said he rejected ‘any suggestion of abusive or threatening behaviour’. 

And while Giovanni’s co-stars showed no support on his statement, fellow pros such as Nancy Xu, Carlos Gu and Luba Mushtuk have been liking Amanda’s recent Instagram posts.

Strictly co-stars show support for Amanda Abbington’s Instagram posts as Giovanni Pernice vows to ‘clear his name’ amid BBC misconduct probe

Strictly’s Giovanni Pernice has vowed to ‘clear his name’ as the BBC investigates ‘serious workplace misconduct claims’ by three of his celebrity partners

The dancer, 33, released a statement on Instagram on Saturday night after he reportedly quit the show - which was notably met with silence from his co-stars on the dancing show

The dancer, 33, released a statement on Instagram on Saturday night after he reportedly quit the show – which was notably met with silence from his co-stars on the dancing show

Amanda Abbington, 52, who withdrew from the series last year, has led the charge in accusing him of 'difficult behaviour' during training. She now has reportedly accused him of 'stamping on her foot' during his sessions

Amanda Abbington, 52, who withdrew from the series last year, has led the charge in accusing him of ‘difficult behaviour’ during training. She now has reportedly accused him of ‘stamping on her foot’ during his sessions

Giovanni wrote in his social media statement: ‘You will be as surprised as I am that allegations have been made about my dance teaching methods in the media this week.

‘Of course, I reject any suggestion of abusive or threatening behaviour, and I look forward to clearing my name.

‘Those who have followed my journey on Strictly Come Dancing over the last decade will know that I am passionate and competitive. No-one is more ambitious for my dance partners than me.

‘I have always striven to help them be the very best dancers they can be. This has always come from a place of love and wanting to win – for me and my dance partners.

‘Thank you all once again for your continued love and support!’

Following his post, fans rushed to the comments to share their thoughts with the professional dancer as many of them confessed their love for him.

But while fans were quick to offer their support none of his Strictly co-stars have yet offered any comments on the post.

And none yet appear to have commented on what has happened or offered support on the statement he made.

One notably quiet is head judge Shirley Ballas who previously came out in his defence. 

85058641 13434799 image a 23 1716105148506

85058647 13434799 image a 24 1716105154751

85058645 13434799 image a 29 1716105195186

And while Giovanni's co-stars showed no support on his statement, fellow pros such as Nancy Xu, Carlos Gu and Luba Mushtuk have been liking Amanda's recent Instagram posts

And while Giovanni’s co-stars showed no support on his statement, fellow pros such as Nancy Xu, Carlos Gu and Luba Mushtuk have been liking Amanda’s recent Instagram posts

Off the back of Giovanni's departure, friends close to Amanda have spoken about how she found the pro dancer 'abrasive' and would have to have 'crisis talks' with show bosses

Off the back of Giovanni’s departure, friends close to Amanda have spoken about how she found the pro dancer ‘abrasive’ and would have to have ‘crisis talks’ with show bosses 

The professional dancer vehemently denies any claims of threatening or abusive behaviour

The professional dancer vehemently denies any claims of threatening or abusive behaviour 

Amanda has led the charge in accusing him of 'difficult behaviour' during training and is currently speaking with the BBC to discuss possible workplace misconduct

Amanda has led the charge in accusing him of ‘difficult behaviour’ during training and is currently speaking with the BBC to discuss possible workplace misconduct

In January she called him an ‘absolute gentleman’ amid his feud with his former partner on the series Amanda.

Speaking on Lorraine Shirley said in response to the revelations: ‘I’ve known Giovanni for many years and he is an absolutely splendid teacher.

‘My only ever experience with him is he is an absolute gentlemen. He gives 100%.

‘Strictly and shows like that they are tough shows so you know when you sign up for that kind of thing. It’s quite difficult to do the show.’

It comes as Amanda reportedly accused Giovanni of ‘stamping on her foot’ during his ‘militant’ training sessions on the show. 

The professional dancer vehemently denies any claims of threatening or abusive behaviour.

Off the back of Giovanni’s reported departure from the show, friends close to Amanda, 52, have spoken about how she found the pro dancer ‘abrasive’ and would have to have ‘crisis talks’ with show bosses every week after being left in floods of tears at his ‘tough’ training method with claims it left her ‘bruised’. 

‘Amanda had a terrible experience with Gio. She felt his behaviour was bullying and abrasive. She would be in tears as communication between them broke down. She tried every avenue to try and make it work,’ a source told The Sun.

‘There would be crisis talks every Friday after producers watched back the video footage of their rehearsals but it would always end up toxic again by the end of the following week.

‘Runners would check in on the training weekly and she would regularly be seen crying and feeling very sad and despondent, she desperately wanted it to work but invariably it would break down.’

Amanda left the competition mid-way through the series, citing personal reasons after weeks of rumours about a feud with Giovanni. 

The Sherlock star said she was diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and demanded to see footage from rehearsals.

Giovanni is in Portugal amid the furore. He has fled the country with girlfriend Molly Brown, 25, after reports emerged he would not appear in 20th anniversary series later this year.

He was seen for the first time since news of his departure emerged on Saturday, going shopping before enjoying an alfresco drink with pals. 

Amanda has led the charge in accusing him of ‘difficult behaviour’ during training and is currently speaking with the BBC to discuss possible workplace misconduct. 

The actress is said to have met with Laura Whitmore, 39, and Ranvir Singh, 46, earlier this year for an ’emotional summit’ to ‘compare notes’ about their time working with Giovanni amid the BBC’s probe. 

Sources told MailOnline the professional dancer walked away from the show because his future was ‘hanging in the balance’. 

Bosses of the dance show could not categorically determine his future until the completion of an internal investigation, which is believed to have sparked Giovanni’s decision to quit after almost a decade. 

A TV insider said: ‘Giovanni is the subject is an internal investigation, which is an ongoing matter.

‘Strictly would not be able to terminate his contract until the findings of the investigation are complete, so his future was hanging in the balance.

‘And besides, dancers are offered one-year deals to compete in the show, so it would just be a case of Giovanni not being given a new contract to compete in the next series.’

The source continued: ‘There’s no hiding from the fact the complaints lodged by ex-celebrity contestants is not a good look for either Giovanni or the show itself.

‘Strictly are taking them seriously which is why the issue is rumbling on.

‘But Giovanni is determined to prove he’s innocent of all accusations, but the stress and unwelcome attention they’ve caused is clearly a reason why he’s looking at pastures new.’

It was reported he had quit Strictly on Thursday night and the following day it emerged the BBC had launched an internal investigation just weeks after saying they wouldn’t be looking into the matter further.

The Italian professional had previously been accused of being ‘too tough’ behind the scenes by several of his former celebrity partners including Amanda, as well as Ranvir and Laura.

Giovanni previously defended his training style, saying: ‘I’m definitely a perfectionist.

‘Like everybody else, I like to win. But for me, it’s more about bringing the best out of partners, especially if I see that there is talent there. I want to do my job properly.’

A spokeswoman, from £700 an hour Carter-Ruck, told The Sun: ‘There have been numerous serious complaints made to the BBC who are now in the process of evidence gathering.

‘As it is still an ongoing matter no further comment can be made at this stage’.

The BBC said two months ago that they would not be investigating Giovanni’s behaviour with Amanda.

A spokesperson said at the time: ‘There is a constant dialogue between the senior production team and contestants to ensure any concerns are addressed swiftly.’

A spokesman for the BBC has declined to comment on Giovanni’s departure. They told MailOnline: ‘The professional dancers for 2024 will be announced in due course’.

In 2016, former Love Island host Laura Whitmore said she ‘cried every day’ and felt ‘uncomfortable’ while training with him.

She later wrote for HuffPost UK in 2018: ‘I’m still not ready to talk in-depth about my experience on the show.

‘I was placed with a dance partner I was extremely uncomfortable with and in the end I felt broken, I cried every day. And I really was broken, both mentally and physically, by the end.’

It’s also thought that Giovanni also clashed with his 2018 celebrity partner Faye Tozer.

The former member of the 1990s band Steps, Faye Tozer, is said to have struggled to work with him and broke down in tears following an appearance together on the spin-off show, It Takes Two.

Meanwhile, his 2022 partner Richie Anderson has unfollowed him on Instagram.

Good Morning Britain host Ranvir, who reportedly made a complaint against Giovanni to the BBC in 2020, admitted to feeling ‘scared’ of the Italian.

Giovanni is currently on holiday with his girlfriend Molly Brown, 25, who three days ago shared a series of photos with the dancer, referring to him as her 'best friend'

Giovanni is currently on holiday with his girlfriend Molly Brown, 25, who three days ago shared a series of photos with the dancer, referring to him as her ‘best friend’

Giovanni has faced a wave of scrutiny ever since his dance partner Amanda (pictured) dramatically quit last year

Giovanni has faced a wave of scrutiny ever since his dance partner Amanda (pictured) dramatically quit last year

In 2016, former Love Island host Laura Whitmore said she 'cried every day' and felt 'uncomfortable' while training with him

In 2016, former Love Island host Laura Whitmore said she ‘cried every day’ and felt ‘uncomfortable’ while training with him 

The Good Morning Britain presenter Ranvir Singh also complained about Giovanni to producers back in 2020, during their time on the show

The Good Morning Britain presenter Ranvir Singh also complained about Giovanni to producers back in 2020, during their time on the show

Other former partners have also come out to back him, including Debbie McGee, the widow of the magician Paul Daniels, who was paired with him in 2017.

Giovanni also had a positive relationship with deaf contestant Rose Ayling-Ellis, 29, whom he led to a triumphant victory in 2021, with the pair going on to win a TV BAFTA for their silent dance routine.

Shortly after Amanda’s allegations, Debbie shared a beaming throwback picture of her and Giovanni taken backstage during their stint together. ‘Happy memories, Giovanni and I had the best of times on Strictly,’ she said in the caption.

He hasn’t completely cut ties with BBC, however, with another insider revealing that the BBC is considering commissioning another travel series with Anton Du Beke following strong viewer feedback. 

Comments

No comments yet. Why don’t you start the discussion?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *