has been slammed by fans after launching into a fiery critique of during a interview - with critics branding the Marvel star 'out of touch.'
Sebastian Stan Faces Backlash After Cannes Trump Rant
Sebastian Stan has been slammed by fans after launching into a fiery critique of Donald Trump during a Cannes Film Festival interview - with critics branding th...
Advertisement
The actor, 43, was promoting his new film Fjord when he was asked about the first year of the , a question that drew nervous laughter from reporters in the room, per Variety.
In a viral clip, he said it was 'just not a laughing matter, to be honest', adding that 'I think we're in a really, really bad place. I really do.'
The star, who portrayed Trump in the then launched into a broader critique of politics and the media.
Advertisement
‘To be honest with you, when you're looking at what's happening, right now,’ went on, ‘If we're talking about the consolidation of the media, censorship, threats, the supposed lawsuits that seemingly never end but don't actually go anywhere. You know, the writing was on the wall.’
The actor also revisited the rocky rollout of The Apprentice, which premiered at Cannes in 2024 after months of controversy.
Sebastian Stan has been slammed by fans after launching into a fiery critique of Donald Trump during a Cannes Film Festival interview - with critics branding the Marvel star 'out of touch' and 'elitist'
The actor, 43, was promoting his new film Fjord when he was asked about the first year of the president’s second term, a question that drew nervous laughter from reporters in the room
Advertisement
‘We encountered all that with [The Apprentice] to the point that we were, three days before the festival, unsure if the movie was going to play the festival.’
‘So, maybe, people are paying attention more to that film. I think it will stand the test of time for that,’ he said.
In a viral clip, he told Variety that it was 'just not a laughing matter, to be honest', adding that 'I think we're in a really, really bad place. I really do'
‘To be honest with you, when you're looking at what's happening, right now,’ Stan went on, ‘If we're talking about the consolidation of the media, censorship, threats, the supposed lawsuits that seemingly never end but don't actually go anywhere. You know, the writing was on the wall'
Another said, ‘These actors can’t help themselves destroy their careers over political post they piss off 1/2 the country.’
Others piled in, with one writing, ‘And they wonder why people don't listen to Hollywood shills anymore. Full of BS.’
Another fumed, ‘Ahh yes. A multi millionaire telling people how this country is horrible… By the way please pay $18 ticket and see my movie.’
But others defended Stan, arguing his comments reflected broader systemic concerns rather than partisan politics.
‘It’s not Trump, it’s the entire super PAC system,’ one user wrote. ‘Stop getting distracted by Trump, he’s a symptom of something bigger…’
‘Wow, this might be the dumbest comment section I’ve ever seen,’ another added.
Stan, who earned a Golden Globe and an Oscar nomination for playing Trump, previously described the role as ‘riding a psychotic horse through a blazing stable.'
His remarks also come after Colbert addressed whether he is worried about potential fallout with Trump as The Late Show gears up for its final episode.
The actor also revisited the rocky rollout of The Apprentice, which premiered at Cannes in 2024 after months of controversy
Stan's comments quickly sparked an online reaction
Viewers were left reeling last July when the 62-year-old comedian announced that CBS/Paramount would not extend his contract, signaling the end of the long-running late-night show after more than four decades.
The network insisted the decision was ‘purely financial’, but the cancellation came just days after Colbert slammed CBS’ $16 million settlement with Trump as ‘a big fat bribe.’
The Emmy-winning host’s final show airs Thursday, amid lingering speculation that politics may have played a role, as Paramount was in the midst of a multibillion-dollar merger with Skydance that required FCC approval.
In a new interview with People, Colbert insisted he has ‘no fear’ of the current administration, adding: ‘I mean, how silly would it be? The ending of the show aside, which people can speculate about all they want, and I can't argue with their speculations, but we’re clowns.
'How much does it diminish the office of the Presidency to even notice what we say?’
Advertisement
More Entertainment Buzz
Advertisement




