Showbiz

Mercury Prize Returns to Newcastle in 2026

Bintano News Desk
2/18/2026
Mercury Prize Returns to Newcastle in 2026

The Mercury Prize has announced its return to Newcastle as the host city for its 2026 awards after having huge success in The Toon last year. 

Advertisement

The awards show will feature a number of live performances from the shortlisted artists before the overall winner is revealed on the night. 

The Mercury Prize is an annual prize given to the best album released by a musical act from the UK or Ireland.

It was first held in 1992 as an alternative to the BRIT Awards and the winner receives a cash prize of £25,000.

The night will be held at Utilita Area in partnership with the Newcastle City Council on October 22. 

Advertisement

Last year, Newcastle's very own Sam Fender won the prize and was left in shock, he said: 'I just I really didn't – we did not expect this at all. I want to say thank you – I cannot think.' 

The Mercury Prize has announced its return to Newcastle as the host city for its 2026 awards after having huge success in The Toon last year; pictured Raye in attendance in 2023

The Mercury Prize has announced its return to Newcastle as the host city for its 2026 awards after having huge success in The Toon last year; pictured Raye in attendance in 2023

The Mercury Prize is an annual prize given to the best album released by a musical act from the UK or Ireland and last year Sam Fender (pictured) took home the gong

The Mercury Prize is an annual prize given to the best album released by a musical act from the UK or Ireland and last year Sam Fender (pictured) took home the gong 

Other past winners include English Teacher, Ezra Collective, Little Simz, Dave, Wolf Alice, Young Fathers, and more. 

The Mercury Prize '12 Albums of the Year' shortlist is curated by an independent judging panel of music industry professionals 

Advertisement

Each year, the shortlist recognises the best new British & Irish music, celebrating artistic achievement across an eclectic range of contemporary music genres. 

The Prize has been an important milestone in past winners' journeys, acting as a stepping stone to wider success in the UK and Ireland as well as internationally.

2025 was the Prize's biggest year to date, as it marked the first time the prestigious awards show was held outside of London. 

Alongside the main show at the Utilita Arena, Newcastle and the North East hosted a week-long fringe programme of events and talks, bringing an extra 8,000 visitors to the region.

Dr Jo Twist and YolanDa Brown, artist and BPI Chair, jointly said: 'Last year's Mercury Prize and its brilliant performances and Fringe gave the region a £1.4m economic and cultural boost and the whole of Newcastle came together to give the event a warm, big Geordie hug.

Advertisement

'We are delighted to see the Prize return to the Toon and to the North-East for what we know will be another memorable occasion for artists and fans. 

'We thank Newcastle City Council and all our valued partners for their continued collaboration and commitment, and we can't wait for what is already shaping up to be another fantastic year of British and Irish music.'

The awards show will feature a number of live performances from the shortlisted artists before the overall winner is revealed on the night; pictured Olivia Dean in 2023

The awards show will feature a number of live performances from the shortlisted artists before the overall winner is revealed on the night; pictured Olivia Dean in 2023

Cllr Karen Kilgour, Leader of Newcastle City Council, said: 'The return of the Mercury Prize to Newcastle for a second consecutive year is a tremendous vote of confidence in our city and our thriving music scene.

'Newcastle is at the heart of a bold cultural resurgence, and hosting this prestigious national event once again underlines both the strength of our music industry and the growing national recognition of our cultural ambitions. It's a powerful endorsement of the talent, creativity and momentum that define our city.

Advertisement

'Last year, we showcased exactly what Newcastle can deliver on a major stage, and we've continued to build on that momentum. 

'This follows Warner Music's recent announcement of a three-year partnership with Generator, which will create even more long-term opportunities. It also supports our plans to establish Newcastle and Gateshead as a recognised Music City.

'And with more significant events in the pipeline including a firm commitment to build our own programme, Newcastle will soon be seen as one of the UK's key cultural hubs.

'While many cities are celebrated for their musical past, Newcastle is shaping its musical future. 

'The return of the Mercury Prize reinforces our reputation as a driving force for emerging talent, industry investment and world-class events — and we are incredibly proud to welcome it back.'

Advertisement

aggregated from the Daily Mail.

READ ORIGINAL STORY