Showbiz

Eva Marcille Responds to Documentary and Tyra Backlash

Bintano News Desk
2/19/2026
Eva Marcille Responds to Documentary and Tyra Backlash

Eva Marcille - who won the third cycle of America's Next Top Model in 2004 - was the latest contestant who reacted to the shocking Netflix documentary and backlash against Tyra Banks since its release.

Advertisement

The 41-year-old model appeared on CBS Mornings on Thursday as she admitted to being shocked by what other contestants had to endure.

'I watched it and after I watched it, I was gobsmacked, I was in awe. My mouth was wide open. 

'To be a part of a club, and not know what’s going on in the club is crazy,' she told hosts Gayle King, Nate Burleson, and Vladamir Duthiers. 

Marcille also revealed that she was not asked to take part in the much-talked about docuseries titled Reality Check: Inside America's Next Top Model.

Advertisement

She said: 'They did not ask me to be on it. It was very surprising.'

Eva Marcille was the latest contestant who reacted to the shocking Netflix documentary and backlash against Tyra Banks since its release.

Eva Marcille was the latest contestant who reacted to the shocking Netflix documentary and backlash against Tyra Banks since its release.

The 41-year-old model won the third cycle of America's Next Top Model in 2004 as she is seen on the season alongside Banks

The 41-year-old model won the third cycle of America's Next Top Model in 2004 as she is seen on the season alongside Banks

Marcille did admit that watching the series was 'amazingly horrifying' to hear the experience fellow contestants had to endure.

She said: 'I've lived my experience. I’ve walked in my shoes. And though there is a level of relatability one would assume, someone having walked in the same shoes, I had no idea. Absolutely no idea. I have been asked about Tyra for 21 years.

Advertisement

'No matter what project I’m doing, what I’m involved in, somehow Top Model finds its way in my interview.

'But I didn’t understand why it was such a topic every time I interviewed with someone. I’ve done 154 projects since Top Model. It’s been 21 years.'

Marcille was asked if she believes that Banks owes 'people more' than what she has done so far amid the backlash the host of the reality has received.

The model said: 'I saw the show. She apologized a million times. But an apology to the person that you wronged is only as good as they could appreciate it. 

'And so for the young girls who were sexually assaulted... for the young girls that now have eating disorders or look at themselves and never feel beautiful — that little girl in them that will always live in the woman that is them — there is no sorry, I think, that’s big enough to truly feel and heal that kind of hurt.'

Advertisement

She also went on to allege that producers and judges did play a role in creating the tense environment for the reality competition show.

'I watched it and after I watched it, I was gobsmacked, I was in awe. My mouth was wide open. 'To be a part of a club, and not know what’s going on in the club is crazy,' she told hosts Vladamir Duthiers, Gayle King, and Nate Burleson (pictured left to right)

'I watched it and after I watched it, I was gobsmacked, I was in awe. My mouth was wide open. 'To be a part of a club, and not know what’s going on in the club is crazy,' she told hosts Vladamir Duthiers, Gayle King, and Nate Burleson (pictured left to right)

Marcille also revealed that she was not asked to take part in the much-talked about docuseries titled Reality Check: Inside America's Next Top Model. She said: 'They did not ask me to be on it. It was very surprising'

Marcille also revealed that she was not asked to take part in the much-talked about docuseries titled Reality Check: Inside America's Next Top Model. She said: 'They did not ask me to be on it. It was very surprising'

 'That environment could not exist without producers aiding and embedding what was going on.

'I’ve done reality now on every level. Housewives, I mean — I don’t know what is going on in someone’s life unless the producers tell me. It’s a part of how this thing works,' Marcille explained. 

Advertisement

Even if she did not appear in the Netflix docuseries, Banks did mention her while talking about contestants who changed the industry.

 'Being that I was the shortest girl on my season, and the idea of a Black girl and this short in the modeling business, it’s unheard of. It will never happen,' Marcille said during her latest chat show appearance.

Marcille went on to explain that the success in her career is due in great part to America's Next Top Model and Banks.

She explained: 'What I will say is I will never fail to thank Tyra. 

'What Tyra set out to do in this business, I will always say — and especially for Top Model, initially — she set out to change the world, to change what the modeling industry looked like, sound[ed] like, felt like and expected. And she did that for me.'

Advertisement

Meanwhile, the inaugural winner of America's Next Top Model sung a much different tune days ago as she blasted Banks after the release of the much talked about Netflix docuseries.

Marcille was asked if she believes that Banks (pictured on ANTM) owes 'people more' than what she has done so far amid the backlash the host of the reality has received

Marcille was asked if she believes that Banks (pictured on ANTM) owes 'people more' than what she has done so far amid the backlash the host of the reality has received

Marcille went on to explain that the success in her career is due in great part to America's Next Top Model and Banks

Marcille went on to explain that the success in her career is due in great part to America's Next Top Model and Banks

Marcille is seen in New York City after the interview

Marcille is seen in New York City after the interview

Adrianne Curry, 43, took to X (formally Twitter) to post a video of a sarcastic rant aimed at the 52-year-old host who she insisted 'isn't sorry' for the treatment of contestants on the reality competition show.

Advertisement

Curry said: 'I have mad respect for Tyra Banks. She is not sorry. She is not apologizing to you. That b**** is not effing sorry. She will not bend the knee. And I respect that. 

'We want her to lie, lie and say how bad she feels? Everyone’s coming to me and they’re like, "None of the judges were sorry." Why should they be? They’re all loaded.'

Curry was the winner of the first cycle of America's Next Top Model in 2003 and was signed to Wilhelmina Models in New York City and went on to have a successful modeling and reality television career.

The media personality continued her tirade on Banks as she said: ' Why should they give a flying F, you know? If they didn’t give a F at the time, they certainly ain’t gonna give a F now. 

'But mad respect for Tyra, because that’s hard to push back on that many people trying to struggle session you, and she’s just like, "f*** you, I do what I want." I gotta respect that. So, I tip my hat, m’lady. Keep on being yourself, which is someone who doesn’t give a flying s***.'

Advertisement

Curry has been critical of America's Next Top Model for years as she recently revealed she was left physically scarred by the show.

Speaking exclusively with the Daily Mail, Curry recalled how the models 'were weighed every single morning' and claimed she was ravenous on set.

Meanwhile, the inaugural winner of America's Next Top Model, Adrianne Curry, sung a much different tune days ago as she blasted Banks after the release of the much talked about Netflix docuseries

Meanwhile, the inaugural winner of America's Next Top Model, Adrianne Curry, sung a much different tune days ago as she blasted Banks after the release of the much talked about Netflix docuseries 

Curry, 43, took to X (formally Twitter ) to post a video of a sarcastic rant aimed at the 52-year-old host who she insisted 'isn't sorry' for the treatment of contestants on the reality competition show

Curry, 43, took to X (formally Twitter ) to post a video of a sarcastic rant aimed at the 52-year-old host who she insisted 'isn't sorry' for the treatment of contestants on the reality competition show

Curry sarcastically said: 'I have mad respect for Tyra Banks. She is not sorry. She is not apologizing to you. That b**** is not effing sorry. She will not bend the knee. And I respect that'

Curry sarcastically said: 'I have mad respect for Tyra Banks. She is not sorry. She is not apologizing to you. That b**** is not effing sorry. She will not bend the knee. And I respect that'

Advertisement

Curry was the winner of the first cycle of America's Next Top Model in 2003

Curry was the winner of the first cycle of America's Next Top Model in 2003

She was signed to Wilhelmina Models in New York City and went on to have a successful modeling and reality television career (she is seen in LA back in January 2008)

She was signed to Wilhelmina Models in New York City and went on to have a successful modeling and reality television career (she is seen in LA back in January 2008)

'We would have to wait all day for catering to come to any set. We were so f*****g hungry all the time. I've never been so hungry,' she said.

The reality competition series has been at the heart of a number of controversies over the years, from its dangerous runway challenges, to problematic photoshoots and disastrous makeovers.

These are addressed in the new Netflix docuseries including a 'blackface' photoshoot, and sexual harassment allegations.

Advertisement

Featuring interviews with show host Banks, TV producer Ken Mok and the aforementioned former judges, the series hears from former contestants and winners including Whitney Thompson, Giselle Samson and Shandi Sullivan. 

In the series, Giselle, who was a contestant on the first series, opens up on being the victim of 'shocking' insults from the judges behind-the-scenes, and series two star Ebony Haith reveals 'racist' comments about her skin. 

Elsewhere, Shandi, who also appeared on series two, addresses the controversy over her being filmed sleeping with an Italian man, despite having a boyfriend, in one shocking episode filmed in Europe.

The model speaks openly about 'blacking out' before the act, with 'nobody doing anything to stop it' and instead 'filming it' to be aired on the series. 

While other former contestants also open up on their thoughts about a ethnicity-swapping photo shoot that saw white models made over in 'blackface' make-up.

Advertisement

The reality competition series has been at the heart of a number of controversies over the years, from its dangerous runway challenges, to problematic photoshoots and disastrous makeovers (Miss J. Alexander is seen on the series back in June 2005)

The reality competition series has been at the heart of a number of controversies over the years, from its dangerous runway challenges, to problematic photoshoots and disastrous makeovers (Miss J. Alexander is seen on the series back in June 2005)

A number of stars also complain of being fat shamed, and harassed by male models, including being 'grabbed and touched' without consent on set. 

When old clips began resurfacing online in 2020, viewers reignited debates about the show’s treatment of contestants and the way producers pushed boundaries.

Many called out judges, including Banks, for body‑shaming, harsh comments and humiliating challenges that seemed more designed for shock value than genuine modelling critique.

Banks herself has addressed much of this criticism in recent years. 

Advertisement

At the 2025 ESSENCE Black Women in Hollywood Awards, she admitted ANTM didn’t always get things right, saying: 'Hell no. I said some dumb s---,' while also defending her intent to broaden diversity on television. 

Reality Check: Inside America's Next Top Model is available to stream on Netflix.

aggregated from the Daily Mail.

READ ORIGINAL STORY