Kyle Sandilands criticizes Mardis Gras board for excluding police from parade following officer’s arrest for murders of two gay men

Kyle Sandilands criticizes Mardis Gras board for excluding police from parade following officer’s arrest for murders of two gay men

Kyle Sandilands has launched an extraordinary spray at the Mardis Gras board after NSW police were barred from marching at the Sydney event for the first time in 20 years.

The decision was made following the alleged murder of a gay couple at the hands of an officer.

The shock jock, 52, braded the move ‘disgusting’ on Tuesday’s episode of The Kyle and Jackie O Show.

‘What I don’t like is that people who fought for inclusion are now excluding people,’ before calling for the entire board to resign.

‘They should all resign and hang their heads in shame,’ said Sandilands. 

Kyle Sandilands [pictured] has launched an extraordinary spray at the Mardis Gras board after NSW police were barred from marching at the Sydney event for the first time in 20 years

Kyle Sandilands [pictured] has launched an extraordinary spray at the Mardis Gras board after NSW police were barred from marching at the Sydney event for the first time in 20 years

The controversial decision follows the alleged deaths of two gay men at the hands of NSW Police officer, Beau Lamarre-Condon [pictured]

The controversial decision follows the alleged deaths of two gay men at the hands of NSW Police officer, Beau Lamarre-Condon [pictured]

Newsreader Brooklyn Ross also weighed in, pointing out the police had investigated the crime, ‘and have their own person in custody, charged with the murder. What more do you want from the police?’ 

‘They’ve made a big mistake here,’ insisted Kyle. 

The shock move was made by the Mardi Gras board on Monday night and will see police barred from marching for the first time in 20 years this coming Saturday (March 2).

The controversial decision follows the alleged deaths of two gay men at the hands of NSW Police officer, Beau Lamarre-Condon.

Channel Ten host Jesse Baird and his new Qantas flight attendant boyfriend Luke Davies were allegedly killed at a home in Paddington, in Sydney’s east, last week.

Mr Baird and Lamarre-Condon had been in a brief relationship last year.

NSW Police have been uninvited from marching in Mardi Gras for the first time in 20 years after one of its officers, Beaumont Lamarre-Condon (pictured left at Mardi Gras in 2020), allegedly killed a gay couple

NSW Police have been uninvited from marching in Mardi Gras for the first time in 20 years after one of its officers, Beaumont Lamarre-Condon (pictured left at Mardi Gras in 2020), allegedly killed a gay couple

Police are desperately trying to work out what happened to Mr Baird and <r Davies, who were last seen a week ago, with search sites established in Cronulla, Newcastle and multiple dams in the Southern Tablelands.

Police allege Lamarre-Condon, a 28-year-old senior constable, was in Newcastle on Thursday night where he cleaned a van, allegedly used to move the couple’s bodies, before handing himself in on Friday at Bondi police station.

Lamarre-Condon has been charged with two counts of murder and remains in protective custody after being denied bail.

It’s understood several members of the Mardi Gras board did not agree with the decision to uninvite NSW Police from its parade and want the decision reviewed.

Police Commissioner Karen Webb, who has personally marched in the parade celebrating queer relationships and identities for several years, said the decision has left her ‘disappointed and dismayed’.

‘We are humans, we are representative of the community we serve and so we should be there,’ she told The Daily Telegraph.

‘Conversations we’ve been having are around the under-reporting of crimes in the queer community. How is this going to help that?’

Commissioner Karen Webb (pictured centre at Mardi Gras 2022) said the decision by organisers left her 'disappointed and dismayed'

Commissioner Karen Webb (pictured centre at Mardi Gras 2022) said the decision by organisers left her ‘disappointed and dismayed’

Commissioner Webb described the decision as ‘illogical’. 

‘I get the distrust and the concern about this matter but don’t brand the whole organisation because of the actions of one individual,’ she said.

However, the alleged murder of Baird and Davies may have just been the tipping point in organisers’ decision.

A vocal push for officers to be removed from the parade has grown in recent years with many Mardi Gras participants feeling the festival is moving from its original purpose as a protest.

However, NSW MP Alex Greenwich believed the decision is a step in the wrong direction.

‘I want the police to stand with the LGBTQ+ community every day, and that includes the Mardi Gras parade,’ he said.

‘There is a lot of work to do to improve community safety, and we must do it together.’ 

Channel Ten host and Lamarre-Condon's ex-boyfriend Jesse Baird (right) and his new Qantas flight attendant boyfriend Luke Davies (left) were allegedly killed at a home in Paddington , in Sydney's east

Channel Ten host and Lamarre-Condon’s ex-boyfriend Jesse Baird (right) and his new Qantas flight attendant boyfriend Luke Davies (left) were allegedly killed at a home in Paddington , in Sydney’s east

The shock ban come after Commissioner Webb issued a historic apology to the families of LGBTQ+ victims following Justice John Sakkar’s report into police brutality and hate crimes in the 1980s and 1990s.

She met with NSW police minister Yasmin Catley, Mr Greenwich and other members of the community earlier on Monday.

‘To have us withdrawn [from Mardi Gras] on the basis, I presume, of the actions of one person who is currently charged before the court makes no sense to me,’ Commissioner Webb said.

‘I think getting past this is including NSW Police in Mardi Gras and saying we are in this together on the basis we acknowledge the hurt of the past and not conflate this with the issue of the former officer before the court.’

Commissioner Webb also referred to NSW Police’s troubled early history with the  Mardi Gras parades by adding: ‘We have been building a bridge with the gay and lesbian community since the 78ers were mishandled by police back in the day.’

The inaugural 1978 Mardi Gras saw 53 people arrested by police and dozens more brutally attacked and bashed by officers.

At the time, marchers held Mardi Gras in the hopes of decriminalising homosexuality.

Their demands were met in 1994 with the adoption of The Human Rights (Sexual Conduct) Act. 

Daily Mail Australia has contacted Mardi Gras for comment.

Many Mardi Gras participants have called for NSW Police (pictured in the 2019 parade) to be removed from the parade but Commissioner Webb believes the decision will worsen chronic 'under-reporting of crimes in the queer community'

Many Mardi Gras participants have called for NSW Police (pictured in the 2019 parade) to be removed from the parade but Commissioner Webb believes the decision will worsen chronic ‘under-reporting of crimes in the queer community’

Comments

No comments yet. Why don’t you start the discussion?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *