A 17-year-old teenager from Sri Lanka found himself in a painful and embarrassing situation after a dangerous masturbating technique involving an electrical wire went terribly wrong. Though the teenager’s name remains undisclosed, his story serves as a cautionary tale about the risks associated with certain unusual practices.
The young man had developed a fetish for inserting electrical wire into his urethra in an attempt to intensify his orgasms. However, one ill-fated day, he pushed an eight-inch-long wire too far, and it became stuck inside his penis, causing excruciating pain, especially during urination.
After enduring this agony for nine days, the teenager finally sought medical help. Doctors at a hospital in Colombo, Sri Lanka, used an ultrasound scan to discover the coiled wire mass inside his abdomen. To remove it, they performed a procedure called cystoscopy, which involves inserting a tube with a light and camera into the urethra to access the bladder.
Once they had a clear view of the wire encrusted with calcium salts inside the bladder, doctors performed surgery to remove it. Fortunately, the young man did not suffer any severe health consequences from this ordeal, but the incident highlights the potential dangers associated with such risky behaviors.
The case also sheds light on a condition known as Polyembolokoilomania, or PEKamania for short. This condition involves individuals repeatedly inserting foreign objects—ranging from wires and toothbrushes to lightbulbs—into various bodily orifices, such as the urethra, rectum, and vagina, while masturbating in an attempt to achieve orgasm.
The teenager, who admitted to engaging in this habit for the past two years, reported that he could usually remove the foreign objects himself. He also revealed that he had lost control over his urges, often engaging in this risky behavior up to three times a day.
PEKamania is not just a rare masturbatory phenomenon; it can also be extremely dangerous, potentially leading to severe infections that can damage bladder tissue. Doctors warn that inserting corrosive substances like batteries can have serious consequences, including bladder tissue necrosis.
After successfully removing the wire, medical professionals sent the young man for psychological counseling. This therapy aimed to help him manage his urges and reduce his risky behavior. While he displayed some anxieties related to forming social and romantic relationships, his overall mental health was deemed good.
The patient was also prescribed the generic version of the antidepressant Prozac to address paraphilia, a psychological disorder characterized by abnormal and often harmful sexual desires. Unfortunately, the young man was “lost to follow-up” after his discharge from the hospital, meaning doctors lost contact with him, and he did not continue with psychological support.
While the patient was not diagnosed with a specific mental disorder, doctors emphasize that a wide range of psychiatric conditions can motivate individuals to engage in such behavior, including sexual gratification, paraphilic disorder, non-pathologic sexual preferences, non-suicidal self-harm attempts, and borderline personality disorder.
Additionally, the patient was found to have a moderately low IQ of 78, and doctors noted that individuals with lower IQs may be more prone to engaging in risky sexual behaviors. They also pointed out that stigma surrounding mental health issues in Sri Lanka could discourage individuals like the patient from seeking help from healthcare services.
This case study serves as a reminder of the importance of open discussions about sexual health and mental well-being, as well as the need for accessible and non-stigmatizing mental health services in societies worldwide. The story of the Sri Lankan teenager is an unfortunate example of how risky behavior can have serious consequences and the critical role that psychological support plays in addressing underlying issues.