BBC bosses have been informed that Giovanni Pernice from Strictly Come Dancing sent an offensive video to his former celebrity partner before the live show.

BBC bosses have been informed that Giovanni Pernice from Strictly Come Dancing sent an offensive video to his former celebrity partner before the live show.

BBC bosses conducting an investigation into allegations of serious workplace misconduct against Strictly Come Dancing’s Giovanni Pernice have reportedly been told he sent a former celebrity dance partner an offensive video clip.

The BBC’s team are said to have been informed last week Giovanni, 33, sent the clip via WhatsApp before one of the series’ Saturday live shows.

According to The Sun, he did not make, commission or appear in the video.  

BBC executives are currently believed to be scouring through nine years of Strictly footage to confirm or deny claims from three celebrities. Giovanni has strongly denied any wrongdoing, with a representative previously saying in a statement: ‘Giovanni is fully committed to clearing his name and defending his rep against accusations against him.’

It is claimed three past contestants are compiling dossiers to hand to their £700-an-hour lawyers before sending it to BBC bosses.

BBC bosses have been informed that Giovanni Pernice from Strictly Come Dancing sent an offensive video to his former celebrity partner before the live show.

BBC bosses conducting an investigation into allegations of misconduct against Strictly’s Giovanni Pernice have reportedly been told he sent an ex dance partner an offensive video clip

The BBC 's team are said to have been informed last week Giovanni, 33, sent the clip via WhatsApp before one of the series' Saturday live shows (Giovanni and his 2023 Strictly partner Amanda Abbington pictured last year)

The BBC ‘s team are said to have been informed last week Giovanni, 33, sent the clip via WhatsApp before one of the series’ Saturday live shows (Giovanni and his 2023 Strictly partner Amanda Abbington pictured last year)

A source told the publication: ‘The BBC was told about the video clip and that someone found the content completely inappropriate, grossly offensive. 

‘The BBC was told the celebrity was shocked and upset to receive it on a WhatsApp message, hours before the couple were meant to be dancing together on live television.

‘They were told they felt intimidated by it. The women are being incredibly brave in speaking out, especially as a lot of them are going up against vicious messages from his loyal fans.’

MailOnline has contacted the BBC for comment. 

Yesterday it was claimed Strictly’s future is under threat after the show’s former professional Giovanni was accused of mistreating his past celebrity partners.

The BBC are currently believed to be scouring through nine years of Strictly footage to confirm or deny claims from three celebrities.

It is claimed three past contestants are compiling dossiers to hand to their £700-an-hour lawyers before sending it to BBC bosses.

A number of ex-dance partners, who are working with renowned legal firm Carter Ruck, claim they have photographic evidence to prove they sustained injuries.

Strictly Come Dancing 's future is reportedly under threat after the show's former professional Giovanni Pernice was accused of mistreating his past celebrity partners (Giovanni pictured with girlfriend Molly Brown)

Strictly Come Dancing ‘s future is reportedly under threat after the show’s former professional Giovanni Pernice was accused of mistreating his past celebrity partners (Giovanni pictured with girlfriend Molly Brown)

It is alleged Gio’s ‘brutal’ training methods left his dance partners ‘black and blue’. 

Giovanni is working with combative legal firm Schillings and is expected to put forward transcripts to prove he acted fairly.

Amanda Abbington, and two more yet to be named, have all accused Giovanni of misconduct.

It has been reported the women believe another of Gio’s former partners – American singer Michelle Visage – could add substance to their claims following her alleged treatment while on the show.

However, it is understood Gio’s transcripts will prove that one partner apologised for their ‘difficult behaviour’.

A source told The Sun: ‘This is all-out war. These women — and there are more in conversations with Carter Ruck — are being incredibly brave in taking a stand.

‘Despite this, they are getting enormous stick from Gio’s loyal fans, claiming they are savagely out to end a man’s career, and effectively being snowflakes.

‘This is unheard of in a supposedly wholesome competition.

‘There are allegedly photos of them with black and blue limbs which are expected to form part of their lawyer’s dossier of evidence.’

While the three celebrities making allegations have not been named, Ranvir Singh, who partnered with Giovanni, met with Amanda Abbington to discuss her experience

While the three celebrities making allegations have not been named, Ranvir Singh, who partnered with Giovanni, met with Amanda Abbington to discuss her experience

Presenter Laura Whitmore is also said to have discussed her experience with Pernice with Amanda Abbington

Presenter Laura Whitmore is also said to have discussed her experience with Pernice with Amanda Abbington

It is also alleged Giovanni sent at least two of the women ‘one or two deeply unpleasant messages’ which they have kept a record of.

The source claimed that the women fear losing other BBC contracts if they speak out but are going ahead as planned as they feel it is ‘the right thing to do’ and to stop other people experiencing the same.

MailOnline has contacted a representative for Giovanni. A representative for Amanda declined to comment when contacted by MailOnline.

It is also claimed BBC bosses are looking at their handling of the duty of care for stars on the show.

Giovanni and his fellow professional dancers on the show are taken on as freelancers but it is claimed the behind-the-scenes procedures will be overhauled, with compulsory psychiatric testing for future celebrities.

In addition, rehearsals could be filmed and monitored, with an additional member of staff on hand at all times for support.

According to The Sun, the three celebrities making allegations against Giovanni asked for chaperones during their time on the show but their requests were denied.

Former EastEnders star, deaf actress Rose Ayling-Ellis, did have an interpreter with her during her time on Strictly before she and Gio won the competition with Gio in 2021. Rose has not made any complaints about Giovanni. 

The BBC declined to comment. 

When the allegations came to light, Giovanni said: 'I reject any suggestion of abusive or threatening behaviour, and I look forward to clearing my name' (pictured with Amanda)

When the allegations came to light, Giovanni said: ‘I reject any suggestion of abusive or threatening behaviour, and I look forward to clearing my name’ (pictured with Amanda)

Strictly’s professional dancers are said to be ‘deeply worried’ about the lack of psychological assessments for the show’s celebrity contestants.

The Daily Mail revealed that Strictly Come Dancing does not carry out comprehensive tests for its stars, unlike rival shows such as ITV’s Dancing On Ice.

Television insiders say that most other reality shows hold stringent evaluations to ensure cast members can cope with the tough regimes they face during their time on the series.

Sources close to some of the Strictly professionals say they are ‘deeply worried’ they could also face accusations from their celebrity partners if they face difficulties in such gruelling environments.

One said: ‘Unlike most shows, Dancing on Ice included, Strictly doesn’t have these tough tests which seems rather strange given that it takes an awful lot of resilience to take part on the show.

‘Not only are the training regimes very testing, every Saturday night these celebrities who haven’t necessarily danced before find themselves on a ballroom floor dancing live in front of millions of people.

‘It is quite literally like nothing these stars have done before. It is hard, really hard – yet assessments are not put in place.’

The source added that wellbeing counsellors do visit training sessions ‘every now and again’ but stressed that the celebrities have already signed up by then. They added: ‘The pros’ reputations are at huge risk if they end up with someone who can’t cope with the pressure.

Former EastEnders star, deaf actress Rose Ayling-Ellis, did have an interpreter with her during her time on Strictly before she and Gio won the competition with Gio in 2021

Former EastEnders star, deaf actress Rose Ayling-Ellis, did have an interpreter with her during her time on Strictly before she and Gio won the competition with Gio in 2021

The Daily Mail revealed that Strictly Come Dancing does not carry out comprehensive tests for its stars, unlike rival shows

The Daily Mail revealed that Strictly Come Dancing does not carry out comprehensive tests for its stars, unlike rival shows

‘It does seem quite bizarre that tests are not in place but the outcomes for the pros could be absolutely horrendous as we have seen with Gio.’ Three women, including Sherlock actress Ms Abbington, have accused Pernice of misconduct and instructed law firm Carter-Ruck to take action against the BBC.

While none of the women have spoken out publicly, Ms Abbington leaked to a newspaper that the Italian dancer left her with a bruised foot during a training session last year.

On Wednesday Pernice launched his fightback by hiring rival legal company Schillings.

In a statement, the firm said: ‘Schillings is engaging with BBC studios to provide it with Giovanni’s evidence being made about him and confirm that Giovanni is fully cooperating with that process.

‘As with any reality TV show, when decisions are being made the producers have a duty of care. Giovanni is fully committed to clearing his name and defending his rep against accusations against him.’

The move , some say, means ‘war’ after Ms Abbington claimed at the weekend Mr Pernice has left her bruised after stamping on her foot.

A source close to Giovanni said: ‘Giovanni has instructed Schillings and is clear he will not be cancelled by spurious and unfounded allegations In the press.

‘He has faith in the process and is fully participating, that is the right and proper forum for the all allegations to be made and reviewed.

‘He is confident he will clear his name, the only substantive allegation is that he stepped on someone else’s toes – an occupational hazard dancing professionally or at a wedding.

‘Giovanni has made no secret that he is a hard taskmaster, that’s what is required on Strictly.

‘But he has and will deny any allegations of threatening or abusive behaviour. ‘

Last week The Mail revealed that Giovanni parted company with Strictly three weeks ago amid the BBC launching an investigation into his conduct after a group of his former dance partners instructed lawyers to make ‘serious complaints’ over his conduct.

Mr Pernice suddenly removed Strictly from his future work schedule shortly after he was given a contract by the show’s bosses which he had intended to sign.

But now they have been forced to gather evidence after lawyers served three separate grievances to them by three separate women over Mr Pernice’s behaviour.

Meanwhile, Giovanni’s pal Anton Du Beke is standing by his friend as it’s emerged the pair’s tour won’t be axed following the allegations.

Meanwhile, Giovanni's pal Anton Du Beke is standing by his friend as it's emerged the pair's tour won't be axed following the allegations

Meanwhile, Giovanni’s pal Anton Du Beke is standing by his friend as it’s emerged the pair’s tour won’t be axed following the allegations

They are due to star in Anton & Giovanni Together, which begins next month.

A source told the Mirror: ‘This has been a really difficult time for Giovanni but the tour with Anton is going ahead. There is no reason for it to be cancelled or even postponed. 

‘Gio has not been found guilty of anything, though he is the subject of much speculation. 

‘The Back Together tour will go ahead, and he and Anton will be standing up on stage together as they have done for many tours.’

Comments

No comments yet. Why don’t you start the discussion?

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *